Friday 1 April 2011

Week 13 Challenge - No Printed Backing Papers

Welcome to another Friday challenge from Polkadoodles! This week I am (Ruth) your host and I'm challenging you to NOT to use any printed backing paper what so ever!

You can make your own if you wish or go for a totally clean and simple card - the choice is yours but we will be looking carefully to see if you've used any designer backing papers! The challenge closes on Sunday 10 April at 12noon GMT.

Before I move on, I need to announce the top three from challenge 11 which was 'All About Books'

First Place: Alethea
Second Place: Sari
Third Place: Sadia

Congratulations! Please email Nikky with your placing and challenge number in the subject field for your blinkies! The first place winner will receive a Polkadoodles download!

The Polkadoodlers have a few little rules which makes our life a lot easier when we come visiting your blogs:
1. Please follow the challenge!
2. Only enter your creation into a maximum of 10 challenges including Polkadoodles
3. Please link your blog post and not your blog address with the blue frog - this saves us from searching your blog for your entry
4. And please no back-linking to previous posts - these will be disregarded from our top three voting
5. If you have comment moderation and word verification on your blog it really does slow us down when leaving comments - please consider turning word verification off especially now that comment moderation has a spam section.

Now onto the Design Team samples and inspiration!

Ruth: For my card I've drawn the bunting directly onto the card blank with a black fineliner pen and coloured with Promarkers. The edges of the card have been inked with blue and black and I've used the rabbit from the Wonderland stamp set as my main focal point, which has also been coloured with Promarkers. Audrey... For this card I used Sundae Of Seasons CD for the butterflies. I made the sentiment in Word and printed it right onto Kraft cardstock and used 3D dots to give the butterflies dimension. I also used ribbon from my stash for the nice big bow on the bottom. D'Anne - I created my background using a technique called heated pearls. To create the background mix school glue and bronze Pearl Ex powder together and then stippled mixture onto the glossy paper which was brayed with purple ink. Heat set the mixture once it is applied. As you heat set the mixture bubbles will start to appear. The digital element I used for my focal point is from the All Around & Everywhere cd.

Saskia - This gorgeous girl and the sentiment are from the Sundae of Seasons cd-rom. I stamped some circles at my paper for a happy background and added buttons from my stash.


Josie - For this challenge, I used a mixture of stamps from the Fairy Flutterfly selection. I stamped and embossed the different pattern, coloured them with Pro Markers and then used some yummy Cosmic Shimmer Glitter. I stamped and coloured Babsie to go on the front, and then added some ric rac from the Fru Fru ribbon pack, with some Lilac Twine.


Emma Hello there, I created the backing paper by pouncing glossed paper with alcohol inks, then, I masked a heart shape before I stamped all over the uncovered backing paper using the small poinsettia from Polkadoodles Christmas doodles stamp plate, finally I heat embossed the stamped flowers before adding a sentiment and a few gems.

Fliss - Hello everyone, I loved this challenge as I adore making my own backgrounds and have another Alice card as I'm so enjoying the fabulous Wonderland stamp set. My grungy paper was made with the checkered stamp and several shades of Distress inks. I stamped Alice with purple ink and also a row of toadstools for the border and coloured with Promarkers. I added complementary shades of card to finish. Full details are on my blog.

Tracie: I played with the lovely versatile png alphabet on A double Sprinkle of Kraft. I layered them in photoshop to create my "21" backing paper, and added a larger 21 as a topper.

Miria. A very CAS style card from me this week. I embossed the paper for the background with my crimper then I printed the cake stampie and the sentiment from Sundae of seasons. I just added a ribbon, pins and pearls from stash and it was ready, quick and easy! Claire I have used all elements from the new cd - Double Sprinkles of Kraft. How cute are those bumble bees and I have distressed the lovely flowers. Only addition some stickles and ink....

Colette I made my own paper by using a stampie from the Sundae of Seasons CD and dotting it randomly around the paper, I added some wording which I shaped and again randomly placed around the flowers and some little dots to fill the gaps. I used this paper on the bottom section of my card, the top section is embossed using the Crafts Too daisies folder and my big shot machine. I added glamour dust to the embossed part of the design, printed out a large version of the flower twice, shaped the petals and layered one on top of the other, I threaded a silver grey ribbon through the 'buttonholes' on the flower and tied in a bow. I also made a border from the same flowers for the card insert (photo on my blog).
Dee: I used elements from A Sundae of Seasons CD for my card this week. I marbled a piece of plain paper using alcohol inks for my background paper. I added some wooden ladybirds and some brown spotty candy for added interest.

Good luck with the challenge - you have until Sunday 10 April to enter at 12noon and please remember our rules!

*******


9 comments:

  1. WOhoooooo..Top 2 again!! =) Thanks you so much! Big congrats to Top 1 & 3 too!! This sounds like a fun challenge!! Such great Dt work again! Allways so inspiering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH I just read my name over on feline playful (even though my name was spelt wrong tehehe) that i had first place here!! How exciting!! Thank you so much! I am unable to email you as the link takes me to outlook and I don't have it set up so my email address is : aletheajohnston at yahoo dot com.
    Thank you so much again and congrats to 2 and 3rd place winners!! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [02 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards girlies
    Super inspo
    Thank you
    mandi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great DT cards this week. Difficult challenge this week Ruth, makes you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Thanks a lot for this fantastic challenge! I used layered and stained with coffee book pages which I then dotted with pink pigment ink! Hope, this counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nikki and the Polka Doodles team

    I'm new to all the blogging thing so hope you don't mind me contacting you this way. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place lol.

    I have a blog award for you. Please visit my blog to collect it. I got my first one today so am super excited! yay!

    Thanks for being an inspiration to me.

    Hugs Janene x

    mypixielandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the fantastic challenge. I really enjoyed playing along with it and the DT cards are fantastic.
    Love Clairebears x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nikki,
    For some reason I thought this challenge closed on the 15th, that's what I get for getting so excited about ordering almost all the pro-markers I saw you demo on C&C, yes I spent an absolute fortune!!!!!! Oh well I will just have to enter the next one.... Annette http://solocrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Team Doodle loves to see your comments so let us know what you are up to!